About the Award
The Spirit of Super League Award, in partnership with law firm Ward Hadaway, wishes to recognise Betfred Super League players that have gone beyond their professional commitments, with a strong emphasis placed on sportsmanship.
It wishes to highlight and honour those players who have made a significant contribution both on and off the field. Their on-field impact must be recognised by their peers for showing the highest levels of sportsmanship and attitude. Off the field they must have given back to the game, their clubs, their local communities and the fans. This may be through volunteer work, donations, campaigning for a particular cause, or something else unique in their own spare time.
Super League is looking for fans to submit online entries to the panel via the entry form below, to highlight stories and instances where a player has displayed exceptional sportsmanship or ‘given back’ through community work this season, rather than solely fulfilling obligatory club appearances.
Local media, Rugby League Cares and Representatives from Ward Hadaway will compile the shortlist of Betfred Super League players from received nominations online, with an expert panel deciding the winner based on the criteria disclosed.
The award will be presented at the new Betfred Super League Awards, an end of season celebration at the Lowry Theatre in Salford on October 6.
Fans who submit a nomination entry on behalf of a Betfred Super League player will be entered into a draw to win 4 tickets for the Betfred Super League Grand Final 2019.
Submit your nomination
In order to be considered for the Spirit of Super League Award, nominees must meet the following criteria;
- Be a registered professional Rugby League player at a Super League Club for the 2019 season
- A player who has spent a significant amount of time giving back or made a noticeable contribution to their local community;
- Made a significant donation to a charitable cause, particular organisation or individual;
- A player that has carried out a particular action and/or contribution for a fan;
- Significant charitable, voluntary work or donation made (monetary, time or otherwise);
- Level of commitment shown in their spare time to a good cause, whether local or of wider profile;
- An understanding of the importance of the Rugby League community, 'giving back' and the difference it can make.
- Their on-pitch attitude and behaviours make them stand out as a real example of the true values of rugby league with the highest level of sportsmanship.