2 Mar 2019

Catalans end Warrington's run

Catalans Dragons 23-22 Warrington Wolves

Sam Tomkins kicked a match-winning penalty from 45 metres to earn Catalans Dragons a superb 23-22 home victory over Warrington Wolves.

The home side opened the scoring in the second minute, with Brayden Williame diving over after Fouad Yaha was held up short of the line. Tomkins added the conversion to give the Dragons an early 6-0 lead.

Catalans extended their advantage further in the 14th minute, a Chris Hill error gifting the Dragons field position before a short ball from Tony Gigot sent Kenny Edwards charging over the line to score.

Tomkins made the conversion before adding a penalty goal three minutes later following Hill’s interference on Jason Baitieri in front of the posts.

Nothing to see here, just a back door flick assist by @Chrishilly1987 😱🔥#NewBeginnings #SLCatWar pic.twitter.com/A9MKx4nMyK
— Betfred Super League (@SuperLeague) March 2, 2019

Warrington rallied, with Stefan Ratchford racing clear from a scrum play to score down the left-hand side. He converted his own try from the touchline to take the score to 14-6.

However, Gigot added a drop goal with two minutes remaining of the first half to make it 15-6.

Ben Murdoch-Masila was tackled by five Catalans defenders before Daryl Clark picked up from the acting half and touched down under the posts. Ratchford added the conversion to make it 15-12.

The Wolves took the lead just short of the hour mark as a Declan Patton chip kick to the right side was taken by Ryan Atkins. The Warrington centre touched down for his third try of the season but Ratchford missed the conversion.

Remi Casty charged onto a Michael McIlorum pass from short range to see Catalans retake the lead in the 63rd minute. Tomkins added the conversion to make it 21-16.

Patton touched down in the 68th minute following Hill’s deft flick pass to create the try. Ratchford added the conversion to see the Wolves re-establish their one-point advantage at 22-21.

With five minutes remaining, Tomkins slotted a 45-metre penalty to win it for the home side.

.@samtomkins1 ends Warrington's 100% start to the year 🎯 #NewBeginnings #SLCatWar pic.twitter.com/FRJ7FXW1CP
— Betfred Super League (@SuperLeague) March 2, 2019

Warrington coach Steve Price said: "On the back of 53 per cent completion rate in the first half, I thought the boys have done really well to get back into the game in the second half and get in front. We just weren’t good enough tonight.

“Catalans are tough to play at home and the crowd got behind them. We've got to learn from that, we've got to be better than that and we’ve got to close that game out.”

 Catalans head coach Steve McNamara said: “It was tremendous for the club. Warrington have had an unbeaten start and have been superb in all three games and no-one has got close to them."